1. Stop and understand the conflict.
- How does your body feel?
- Choose an appropriate time and place.
2. Share your concern.
- Describe WHAT happened…NOT WHY it happened
- Use “I” statement
- Be respectful
3. Listen without interruptions.
- Listen actively
- Ask questions to clarify a point
- When the person is finished, repeat what you heard.
- Acknowledge speakers point of view
4. Brainstorm and agree on a solution.
- Work together to find ways to solve the problem
- Consider all the choices
- Consequences and rewards for each choice
- Select a WIN/WIN solution
- Handshake, hug, or a kind word.
6. Talk to an adult if conflict repeats.
- Conflicts that keep repeating.
- Danger to self or others
- Problems that can result in someone being hurt
- Any bullying behavior